What causes breast cancer? What are breast cancer risk factors? How do you get breast cancer?
There might be many risk factors which increase the risk of getting breast cancer. However, according to research, these are few major risk factors which might cause breast cancer.
The risk factors and causes of breast cancer are –
- Age – When a woman gets older, then the chances of breast cancer also increase.
- Family history – If any of your family member or close relatives had infected from breast cancer. Then there is a high probability that you might be infected by it too.
- Alcohol – Extremely addicted to alcohol or frequently drinking or even light drinking alcohol might increases the risk of breast cancer. According to research, all types of alcohol consumption is related to a high risk of developing breast cancer.
- Breast tissue – If a woman has dense breast tissue have a higher chance of developing breast cancer.
- Child – Having no children or the first baby after age 30 increases the chances of developing breast cancer. However, breastfeeding your baby for one and a half up to two years can help you lower the risk of breast cancer.
- Deodorants – Deodorant might also increase the risk of getting breast cancer. However, this fact is still proof-less and there is still research going on it.
- Exercise can reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Genetic risk factors – The most common causes of breast cancer in a woman’s body are due to mutations in the BRCA1(breast cancer genes) and BRCA2 genes (ovarian cancer genes). Inheriting a mutated gene from a parent can significantly increase the risk of getting breast cancer.
- Hormone therapy – Undergoing mix hormone therapy after menopause can also increase the chance of getting breast cancer.
- Menstruation – If a woman had her first period at a very young age i.e. before 12 or went through menopause later i.e. after 55 have a slightly more risk of getting breast cancer.
- Oral contraceptives – Using birth control pills 10 years can also slightly increase the chances of developing breast cancer.
- Overweight – If a woman is overweight or obese (pre- and postmenopausal women) increases the chances of developing breast cancer.
- Race – Generally, white women are more likely to develop breast cancer than dark colored people. But, it is found that African-American women found to have more dangerous tumors when they get infected by breast cancer.
- Radiation Exposure – Radiation exposure on chest or using diethylstilbestrol also increases the chances of developing breast cancer.
- Some women are diagnosed with certain breast conditions which might raise the chances of getting breast cancer. Generally, such type of disease is hyperplasia, which is a condition in which there is an abnormal growth of cells present in the breast but no cancer has developed.
Author: Hiten Patil
Hiten is Content Writer and He write about all platform like health and wellness related blog and other platform as well