Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble nutrient which helps our body in many efficient ways. Vitamin B12 is found in many foods, such as meat, dairy eggs, products seafood, poultry, and fortified cereals.
Benefits of Supplementing With Vitamin B12
• Improves mood – Vitamin B12 supplements can help in reducing stress and boosts the performance of your brain.
• It can treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
• It helps in nerve maintenance and DNA formation.
• It helps in red blood cell formation and energy production.
• Reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression – It has been found that vitamin B12 supplements can significantly reduce depression and anxiety symptoms in adults.
• Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to anemia, nerve damage, and fatigue. Vitamin B12 supplements can avoid all of these diseases.
• Vitamin B12 supplements can boost energy levels.
Is taking high doses of Vitamin B12 helpful or harmful?
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin, so it is usually considered as safe even at high doses.But still overconsumption of anything is dangerous for health. No Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) has not been set for B12 as whatever our body will not use, it gets excretes through your urine.However, it has been found that high dosage of vitamin B12 supplements can lead to some negative side effects.
The side effects of high dosage of vitamin B12 supplements are –
• According to researches, a high dose of vitamin B12 can increases the risk of Autism Spectrum Disorder in their baby.
• High dosage of vitamin B12 supplements might lead to a negative effect on those people who are having diabetes or kidney disease.
• According to researches, people taking the high dose of vitamin B12 had a greater risk of heart attack, stroke and even death.
• People with diabetic nephropathy (a condition of loss of kidney function due to diabetes) had experienced more reduction in kidney function.
• High dosage of vitamin B12 supplements can lead to cause acne and rosacea on the face.
How Much B12 Should You Take?
Even though there are some negative effects of high dosage of vitamin B12 supplements, it is still recommended to take the medicine but it should not be more than normal need. You can take daily oral supplements of vitamin B12 up to 2 mg, this is safe and effective in treating B12 deficiency.
The RDI of vitamin B12 is 2.4 mcg for both men and women. Keep in mind that pregnant and breastfeeding women have a higher need for vitamin B12 supplements.
If you are not at risk for B12 deficiency, you should always prefer to get vitamin B12 from your diet i.e. through natural ways as this way is the best rather than taking supplements.
Food sources of vitamin B12 are red meat, poultry, eggs, fortified cereals, seafood, milk, yogurt, yeast, and fortified non-dairy milk product.
Author: Hiten Patil
Hiten is Content Writer and He write about all platform like health and wellness related blog and other platform as well