Lying down right after a meal or eating large meals or can cause acidity. You might experience heartburn, dry cough or trouble in swallowing food.
Effects of eating too many acid-producing foods
- Kidney Stones also known as Uric Acid Stones
- Bone and Muscle Deterioration
- Lower Bone Density
- Esophageal Cancer
- Liver Problems
- Heart or Cardiovascular Disease
Various factors that might increase your risk of causing acid reflux disease are-
- Pregnancy – During the first time of pregnancy, several women experience acid reflux. The reason behind this is due to increasing levels of hormones couples with pressure coming from the growing fetus. Generally, acid reflux occurs most during the third trimester, after delivery everything becomes normal.
- Alcohol- Drinking alcohol also increases the risk of esophageal cancer. The more you drink, the more is the risk. It’s even worse when you smoke and drink at a time.
- Smoking- Smoking might result in acid reflux disease
- Causes reflexes in the throat
- It harms mucus membranes
- Lowers LES muscle function
- Increases the risk of esophagus cancer
- Increases acid secretion
- Lower saliva excretion, which aids in neutralizing the effect of acid
- Stomach abnormalities (hiatal hernia)- Hiatal hernia is a disease which occurs at when the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) and a top portion of the stomach shifts over the diaphragm. A study found that during acidity, muscle wall separates the stomach from the chest. If you suffer from hiatal hernia, it is easier for acid to move up into your esophagus.
Foods causing Acid Reflux
These are some of the top few acidic foods to aviod:
- Citrus fruits, such as oranges or lemons
- Sodas, Carbonated, and other sweetened beverages
- Processed foods
- Few dairy products
- Fresh meats or processed meats
- Fatty or Fried foods
- Coffee or tea (even decaffeinated)
- Foods containing tomato
- Spicy foods, especially food containing chili or curry
- Garlic and onions
- High-protein foods and supplements
Other common causes of acid reflux disease include:
- Being overweight
- Lying on your back or sleeping over at the stomach after a heavy meal
- Eating before bedtime
- Taking blood pressure medications, aspirin, or some muscle relaxers.
Fruits high in acid-
Some citrus is high in acid formation in our body which may cause gastrointestinal issues like an ulcer or Acid reflux. Here’s a list of fruits from high to low acidic level-
- Lemon Juice
- Blue Plums
NOTE- Fruit juices are acidic, too. Therefore, you should use a straw while drinking fruit juices, so that the juice does not comes in direct contact with your teeth.
- Less acidic fruits
- Fresh vegetables, even fresh potatoes are less acidic
- Herbal teas
- Fats such as olive oil, seeds, nuts, and avocados
- Beans and lentils
- Soy, like soybeans, miso.
- Whole grains, such as millet, quinoa, and amaranth
- Sugarless yogurt and milk
Author: Sarang Awaze
Sarang is SEO Expert and Content Writer and He write about all platform like health and wellness related blog and other technical writing as well