People who should avoid eating potatoes –
- Arthritis, gout, Rheumatism – People who are suffering from arthritis, gout, Rheumatism should avoid potatoes. A potato is rich in starch and carbohydrate content which can increase body weight and worsen the condition as well as the pain.
- Diabetes patient – People who are suffering from diabetes should avoid eating potatoes as it contains a large amount of starch in it. As soon as carbohydrates enter our body, it breaks down into glucose and raises sugar level in our body. Potatoes also have a high glycemic index which means, it releases sugar into the bloodstream at a faster rate and can lead to increase the sugar level in the bloodstream.
However, dietary fiber present in the potatoes can lower the sugar absorption rate in our body. Therefore, potatoes can be consumed in moderation by a diabetic patient.
- Not Good for Digestive system – Excess consumption of potatoes can lead to increase in starch levels which might cause diarrhea.
According to research, potatoes can be regularly and moderately consumed, as it is very beneficial for our stomach and keeps our digestive system healthy.
Due to the presence of dietary fibers in potatoes, it is considered beneficial.
The dietary fibers can improve bowel movement which will make sure that all toxins and body waste are removed from our body which provides relief from constipation and other digestive issues such as abdominal pain, bloating, indigestion etc. Therefore, a little bit of dietary fibers is good for health.
It is important to keep a check on the consumption of potatoes and it is better to eat them in moderation. Too much of dietary fibers are not good for our digestive health and can cause digestive problems such as diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, malabsorption, gas, intestinal blockage etc.
- Kidney stones – People who have Kidney Stones should avoid eating potatoes as it contains a high amount of iron and calcium which will lead to the formation of stones.
- Overweight or obese – People who are obese should avoid eating potatoes. Potatoes are loaded with carbohydrates and starch which will add more weight to your body. If you want, then you can eat baked potatoes rather than raw or fried.
- During Pregnancy – Potatoes in moderate amounts are a good source of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients etc. It plays a vital role in keeping us healthy, and also good for pregnant women.
However, during pregnancy, you need to take care of your and your baby health but also the health of the baby.
Therefore, it is advised to eat potatoes in moderation. Consult your doctor before eating it.
Green potatoes are poisonous and should be avoided completely. It contains toxic compounds and can be very dangerous for the fetus development, and may lead to birth defects like Spina Bifida.
Green potatoes can also lead to type-1 diabetes in children.
- Acidity – Potatoes should be taken in proper proportion, as excess consumption will cause acidity and Gas in the stomach.
- Heart-related disease – People who are suffering from the heart-related disease should avoid eating potatoes. The reason is it might lead to weight gain and it will put pressure on your heart. It can cause health problems like cardiovascular problems, respiratory problems, hypertension, stress etc.
- It is always necessary to keep a check on the consumption of potatoes and consume it in moderation.
- Green potatoes are often poisonous. In children, green potatoes can lead to type-1 diabetes.
Other effects of overconsumption of potatoes –
- Effects on medication –
If you are undergoing medication for controlling high blood pressure, then overeating potatoes will interrupt the process, as it might increase the risk of hypotension.
Therefore, it is better to eat potatoes in moderation. Take your doctor’s advice before eating them.
- Leads to Hypotension –
Due to the presence of potassium, regularly eating potatoes is good for providing relief from high blood pressure or hypertension.
Potassium improves blood circulation, relaxes our blood vessels, and thus helps in maintaining our blood pressure level.
It is advised to eat them in moderation because potatoes are effective in controlling hypertension and not hypotension.
Excessive consumption of potato can lower your blood pressure and leads to hypotension. It can cause symptoms like fatigue, depression, lightheadedness, blurry vision, nausea, dizziness, sweaty skin, etc.
Author: Hiten Patil
Hiten is Content Writer and He write about all platform like health and wellness related blog and other platform as well